Friday, April 8, 2011

a little heart spill | not for the dark at heart

There's always been this one moment, during my college career, that stuck with me. This moment happened during a Design Discussion organized by the faculty in my department. It was about the philosophy of design and what we should really be focusing on as young, fresh designers (not yet jaded by the harsh reality of pod life in Corporate America).
The speaker showed us a photograph of a woman wrapped in her white fluffy robe, sitting on the side of her clean, crisp porcelain tub, overlooking the pristine sea and bathing in nothing but the joy of being able to afford living in this perfect picture. The next photograph was of a water well located in whoknowswhere Africa and the speaker said something along the lines of: "This too is design!".
I'm not saying I'll ever become an engineer-without-borders or pick up and move to the Saharan desert but it certainly made me want to design to improve a quality of life that needs improving.
I stumbled upon an awesome project that made me think of my fellow classmate and friend Mary Kate, who is the kind of designer who is dying to live in whoknowswhere The World In Need.
Hopefully this will inspire you as much as it inspired me.  Thanks MK!

No comments:

Post a Comment